Sunday, March 18, 2007

Reflections on Life at Science Hall


Certainly Science Hall is steeped in history. The structure itself goes back to the late 1800s. It has been used for several different purposes, and merely walking through the halls, it becomes apparent that it has been remodeled and "upgraded" several times. For instance, my office used to be a morgue. There are even rumors of ghosts lurking in the bowels of Science Hall, although I believe it's most likely a rattling heater that scares people.


While the structure itself is very interesting, I think most of the people who work and study in Science Hall really don't focus on the building itself. Since most of us are academics, most of us are caught up in our latest research or our most pressing deadline of the day. We don't really look around very much.


Ignoring the history of Science Hall is one thing. Another subject entirely is the people who inhabit said building. I'd like to pen a few words on my observations as a member of the Science Hall community.


My first observation has to do with the diverse personality types to be found in the Geogreaphy Department. Some people are very outgoing and friendly. Others are quiet and introspective. In my second semester here, I'm starting to note patterns in people's personalities. Everyone has their own unique response to "hi, how's it going?" These span the gamut, from a simple hi to "good, how are you?" I've notived that I usually say a simple "hey".


My second observation deals with the sheer intelligence to be found in Science Hall. Of course, one could say that this is to be found in any given department which has alot of grad students. But who can deny that the "post-modern blanket" comment by one of us was anything less than genius? And what of the sheer amount of creativity? The dancing videos, the blackboard drawings, the B n Ls, the gross volume of intellectual conversations.


That's all for now. I could expound upon these thoughts a bit more, but honestly I'm hungry. And Beans the cat demands attention. Has anyone else noticed that she's shaped like a barrel?

No comments: