Thursday, March 22, 2007

Mother nature can bite my cold ass


It seems that spring warming has begun. Most people welcome this, as it means less ice and clothing. Plants grow again, and students instinctively flock to the terrace. I like nice weather. The hotter the better. I would rather sweat that shiver. I must be this way, since I’ll be roasting alive in a dusty corner of Nebraska soon enough.

But this is Madison. Nice weather doesn’t happen with any certainty until late May. Until that time, the weather from day to day (and even minute to minute) is a crap shoot. But mostly crap. This really gets my underwear in a bunch. Just when I think I can bike to school in shorts and sandals, I am forced to once again bring out the parka and the Sorels. It’s not fair. I’ve been waiting patiently all winter. I haven’t complained (loudly). I’ve always said it could be worse, even if it really couldn’t.

Earlier this week nature teased us with one good day. Then the bottom dropped out. It was sunny, but frigid and windy. In successive days it has been progressively warming, but rainy. Today is sunny, but one wishes it were just a little bit warmer.

I know nice weather is relative. But nature mocks me.

No comments: